Thursday, October 15, 2009

Bonding with the Brits

Oct 5-Mon
Monday I was exhausted but I still went to both classes. Even thought I wasn’t really there during the seminar at all. My second class was when we had a workshop to review the writing we’d sent in on the weekend. I was nervous that my teacher and classmates would be too critical of me or not understand my American writing style. But it turns out that they liked it and found it funny and my teacher thought my writing was “very experienced and mature” yay! That class was long though and it went until about 4:30 and I hadn’t eaten since 10am so I was pretty much starving.

We decided to go to dinner out that night since we had yet to buy anymore food to cook. Liz and Hannah came with us and we went to Pizza Hut because they were craving it. We had fun going out to eat with them and hanging out/talking. They are so nice and cool. We then ordered this amazing desert that was like a pazookie. It was heavenly! Then we all came back and watched Shaun of the Dead in Kelsey’s room. It was ok, but I’m not much into zombie gore and such. Then we all went back to our rooms and went to sleep.
End Day 25

Oct 6-Tues
Tuesday I woke up and walked with Dani to class. The class was uneventful and I was tired. Then I had my self-expressions class and we learned about Jean-Dominique Baudy, who wrote The Diving Bell and the Butterfly, after he got “locked-in syndrome” and could only communicate by blinking his left eye. So he wrote the book by having someone read the alphabet out loud to him and him blinking at the letter he wanted. Crazy!! So my teacher decided to have us try that with a partner. It was hard and also took forever. Major props to Bauby! Anyway, after class I came back and hung out until like 5 or 6 then made dinner in Dani’s kitchen because all of our friends are on that floor. We had pasta (again) and I found out that the girls I usually go to Christian Union with weren’t going, so we made cookies and jelly (jello) and had a desert fest. The cookie kinda turned into one large one and the jelly was in muffin tins, but it was all good anyways. The Dani, Kelsey and I watched “Superbad” with Jesse in his room. He then showed me his glasses he bought (lens less) to wear for me because he was teasing me about liking guys in glasses.Then he made me try them on and took a picture of me then posted it in his facebook album. The downside to him being a photography major. Awesome. Then we were all tired after the movie so we went to sleep.
End Day 26

Oct 7-Wed
Wednesday I had no class and it was basically my day to catch up on stuff I hadn’t done on the weekend. I uploaded my London pictures to facebook, then I updated my blog. After that it was nearly time for Kelsey to get back from class and time for dinner. I then realized that I was in desperate need for groceries, like more bread, milk, cheese, etc… I asked Kelsey to go but she’d been out already, so Dani came with me. We also decided to buy food to make for dinner, so we decided on breaded chicken breasts (since they don’t require seasoning) and baked potatoes (jacket potatoes) with butter, cheese, and sour cream. We tried to hurry the potatoes because Kelsey had an appointment with her friend Doug at the cinema. She only ended up having chicken since the potatoes took forever. But they were really good.

While Kelsey was on her date, Dani and I decided to start planning the trips we want to go on before it gets to be too late. It was stressful and really scary but we have stuff planned for Paris, Scotland, and Italy and we are working on Wales and Ireland. We haven’t booked yet, but we plan to by this weekend. After planning forever we decided to go to bed.
End Day 27

Oct 8-Thurs
Thursday I slept really late and did some work for my creative writing class. Then Kelsey called me and needed cheering up because she woke up with an eye infection. I waited for her to get back from the doctor and we hung out together and ate chocolate to help her feel better. Then I realized I needed something for dinner, so we planned on making the leftover chicken and whatever else we wanted to. I was going to have left over pasta from Monday, but it looked weird since someone put something on top of it in the fridge and smushed it. Then my English muffins went bad, so I ended up just having chicken.

Then we started to play a game called “ring of fire” and it was kinda hard with the rule that all Americans had to speak with a British accent and all the British people had to speak with an American accent. But it was really entertaining. Then we went out to Blush but it wasn’t as fun as it has been in the past and there were a bunch of older guys who were weird and creepy. So Dani and I left kinda early because we just weren’t feeling it. It was weird and disappointing.
End Day 28


Oct 9-Fri
Friday I was even more bored since my whole floor went home for the weekend and practically all of Regency Halls did too. I was productive in getting my creative writing story done and e-mailed to my teacher two hours before it was due. Then I hung out in Kelsey’s room and Dani came down and we watched a couple of Merlin episodes. Then we decided to go out for dinner since we sick of cooking. We went to a place called Café Rogue. We walked in and didn’t know that apparently, because of the literary festival in town for the next two weeks, we needed a reservation. But the guy was nice and found us a table on the condition that we would be out by 8pm. We were and I enjoyed my chicken baguette. We went back to Regency then and had a game and film night with some other floormates, like Liz, and Nick. It was fun playing Apples to Apples with a not-so-sober Nick. Then we sent Nick to bed and the four of us watched The Goonies, which I had never seen and then talked for a little bit. Then we decided to walk down to the One-Stop-Shop across the road and stocked up on candy and sweets, then we came back and had a sugar fest. It was so fun! Then we went to bed.
End Day 29

Oct 10-Sat
Saturday I slept so late that breakfast was lunch and I decided to take a shower. That’s when I discovered that my shower was broken, since the water never got warm. So it took a cold shower with water from the Artic Ocean then hung out in my cold room. Lovely. I’m supposed to contact maintenance about it but they’ve ignored Dani’s kitchen lights for a week and a broken fridge for four days, so I’m not sure it will get fixed. I then talked to Jesse on facebook then went then the bank and walked around town with him. We had hot chocolate from a little café and looked at some gift shops.

Then we came back and planned dinner that we asked Jesse to cook for us since he is a really good cook. So we went out to Tescos to buy ingredients for dinner then came back to make it. Well, Jesse made it, but we helped…kinda. I skinned the apples for the desert. We ended up with delicious seasoned chicken with rice and apple crumbly for dessert. It was amazing. Then we watched some TV in Jesse’s room and then decided to go out and hangout. We ended up going to Slack, since Wetherspoons wouldn’t let Kelsey in without an ID. But we weren’t really feeling the atmosphere of slack so we only stayed about 30-45 min before coming back, eating toast, visiting Liz, and going to bed.
End Day 30

Oct 11-Sun
Sunday I had to wake up early to go to church with Kristen. We went to the FCH campus chapel to meet with the Christian Union and have breakfast before going off to different churches. We went with the group going to Trinity since it was the only one we’d been to before. It was a good service and we got to talk to Adam, a cute intern at the church, who is probably too old for us and has girlfriend. Oh well. After that it was raining, so we ran home, and I worked on homework (finally) for a few hours and tried to plan our Scotland trip. After that we decided to go out to Wetherspoons for dinner, where I had a burnt burger and Kelsey liked our server Anthony. We plan to come back next Sunday for a Sunday roast…and to see Anthony. Then we came back and hung out and watched Pineapple Express in Jesse’s room. After that I said goodnight to my adopted floor and floormates, who I practically live with now and went back to my room to go online for a little bit before going to bed. I love Dani’s floor with Liz, Hannah, Jesse, Jade, and Greg. We feel so welcome there and we spend all of our time there, except to sleep, haha.
End Day 31

No comments:

Post a Comment