Saturday, December 19, 2009

Last Adventures in Cheltenham

Dec 7-Mon
Monday I had to be up early to go meet my teacher for my Prose class to discuss my mock assessment. We also arranged for me to e-mail him my final paper by Dec 17th and he would hand it in for me. So after that happy news I came back to the halls and had some lunch then went online for a little while. Then I watched some Merlin online and waited for dinner. Then Kelsey, Dani and I went to McDonalds for dinner since we all had no food and little money. It wasn’t as bad as last time, so that’s good. After that it was time for our last BCA meeting so we went to FCH for that. There we found out all about going home and such and it was very sad! :(. We then came back to Regency and played drinking games to The Office and The Inbetweeners. That got me a little drunk since I was drinking Kelsey’s cider and we all got a bit tipsy. I wasn’t going to go out but after all of that cider I decided to go to The Place with Hannah and Kelsey and a bunch of others. When we got back we found out Ryan was sick off alcohol, so me, Hannah, Kelsey, and Greg sat with him and nursed him through it since he begged us to stay and we wanted to make sure he was ok. Went to bed around 4 am.
End Day 87

Dec 8-Tues
Tuesday I woke up with a headache and feeling gross from the night before. So I took a shower and felt so much better. Then I sat around waiting to be called to go grocery shopping but no one called me so I started packing :( the stuff that I wouldn’t need in 4 days and clothes I’d worn so I wouldn’t have to do all of it later. Then I got scared everything wouldn’t fit. But I will make it fit! Then I finished watching the Merlin episode I didn’t finish the day before and went to go eat dinner. I had my last easymac in Dani’s kitchen and then we watched Glee in her room. Then we checked on Kelsey who was with Ryan who was still sick, and sicking up blood apparently. Uh oh. But he got better before we had to take medical action and was able to eat dinner and keep it down. Then Liz suggested we order hot cookie dough desert again from Pizza Hut so we did and it was freaking awesome (as usual). Then we hung out and talked and then I went back to my room since Dani started working on her paper. Then I worked on my own work for a bit and played online before going to sleep.
End Day 88

Dec 9-Wed
Wednesday I woke up semi-early to get ready to go shopping with Dani. We were out by about 1pm which is amazing since we don’t usually wake up until then,haha. We went to Gregg’s (bakery) and Starbucks before walking along the Promenade and going into Accessorize. We spent a long time in there, as usual, and because we couldn’t decide on what to get (surprise surprise). After that we decided to go to Park Campus to get our Uni Gloucestershire hoodies but when we got there, the student shop was closed. Super lame! The lady said the hours were starting at 11am and a few hours after, so basically it opens from like 11-1. So dumb! That makes perfect sense--not. So we walked back to town and looked in little thrift shops, found Cheltenham souvenirs, then came home. Then us and Kelsey had dinner and hung out in the kitchen while Jesse and his friends got ready for “cross-dress night” at Boogie Lounge (pronounced boo-gie by the Brits). It was so entertaining to see them in pink tights and tu-tus and I painted Jesse’s nails pink, haha. Then Hannah and Kelsey dressed as boys and we were going to do karaoke but it was closed. Then the crazy cross-dressers left finally and Dani and I made food. Then I Skyped my mom and went to sleep.
End Day 89

Dec 10-Thurs
Thursday was a really weird day. Everyone was kinda off since it’s the end of term and us Americans are leaving. Anyways, I woke up early to go get our hoodies from Park since they are only open for 2 hours (dumb!). So I took the bus, but the bus didn’t stop at Park like it was supposed to, so I ended up walking back to Park at the next stop. Then I got Dani’s hoodie for her and I got one too, but my options were limited so I got a royal (Dodger) blue on in a small. It is growing on me, so I’m ok with it. Then I came back and was going to nap, but I remembered I had to clean my room so I did that. Then Dani called me and asked me to walk to FCH with her so I did to get an assignment back, but it wasn’t open. :(. Then we came back to get our gifts and go for our Secret Santa/Christmas Dinner. Wetherspoons was full, and Yates ran out of food, so we settled for Varsity, chosen by Liz, and it was really good. Then we came back, opened our presents ( I got a HP6 calendar from Kelsey, and I gave Liz an insult-a-day calendar) and got ready to go out. But then everybody got in a bad mood so we drank some to cheer everyone up. After that we went to Propaganda for our last night out and I spent the whole 3 ½ hours talking to this guy I called “hot glasses boy” but his real name is Hashim (like “im” not “eem”) and he is a 22-year-old 3rd year film student. Kelsey made me go talk to him after she told him I thought he was cute, but he turned out to be great, not creepy, so I’m happy she did. He was really sweet and a good guy and at the end of the night he kissed me! (also thanks to drunk Kelsey). So nice! And I got his online info and we plan to keep in touch. Then we got chips, went home, and went to sleep.
End Day 90

Dec 11 and 12-Fri and Sat
Friday I woke up kinda early to shower before Dani and I were gonna go shopping. So I got ready and sat around to let my hair dry. Then Hashim came on facebook and we talked for 2 ½ hours until I went to One-Stop with Kelsey, then out with Dani. Hashim and I talked about all sorts of things and found out we have a lot in common. :) Then Dani and I wandered around town in Cheltenham and got some last minute gifts for people. It was so bloody freezing though. But no snow. :( Oh and earlier that day I tried to get into the wrong flat with my key and panicked that it didn’t work. Then I realized it was wrong,haha. I’m so lame. After shopping we went to Bella Italia with Hannah for our last supper in England. It was delicious, but sad also. Then we came back, Dani and I watched Glee, and our plat played Trivial Pursuit. Then I came back to my room to finish packing and got ready to go back up to Dani’s floor to watch movies and stay up all night! Woo! I ende up talking to Hashim for about an hour on MSN then went down to help Dani pack. We didn’t end up watching movies since we were afraid we would fall asleep. Se we made the rest of our food then went wandering to different floors to visit people. The next three hours went very fast and it was spent helping Dani and Kelsey pack.

Before we knew it, and before we were ready we had to bring our stuff down to the courtyard and load the bus. That was THE most heartbreaking part. Everyone was in tears (yes, even the guys) and we all said very emotional goodbyes to all of our English friends. They all helped us pack the bus then saw us off. Just about the whole halls were out there and some of the boys even ran after the coach. That’s when we all lost it. We slept on the coach and the whole check-in to boarding the plane went pretty fast. By 10:30 am we were headed back to the states. Then we arrived in New York after a 6 hour flight which was long, but at least I got to watch Elf. We landed in JFK, went through customs, got our baggage (rented a trolley for $5! Lame!) and left the terminal. That’s when I had to say goodbye to Dani and Kelsey and other BCA friends. Great, more tears! I hated having to leave my two best friends but Sandy and I had to recheck our bags and go to our connecting flight.

We got food after going through security, at Auntie Anne’s, and I had real lemonade for the first time in 3 months! Then we had to wait around for like 2 hours for our flight and I just wanted to sleep. We finally boarded at like 4:30 and were told we would have another 6 hours on a plane to sit through. Oh joy. And no food. Even better. Oh and there was this cute little girl sitting behind me, but the cuteness wore off the 20th time she screamed and kicked my chair. Uggg! Now all I want to do is go home but I’m still stuck on a plane. Longest plane ride EVER! And I've been up for nearly 36 hours, 20 of which were spent travelling. I’m going into hibernation for the next few days. We finally landed and I didn’t get stuck in the revolving door (thankfully). Then we came home, unpacked, and I knocked out.
End Day 91 and 92

End of Trip!! :(


British slang I accumulated over three months:

American-British:
Jelly-jam
Jello-jelly
Popsicles-icelollies
Sour cream-soured cream
Medium cheddar-matured cheddar
Grilled cheese-cheese on toast, cheese toastie
Bangs(hair)-fringe
Quesadillas-don’t exist (cheese wraps-acording to Jesse)
Apple cider-cloudy apple juice
Carts-trolley
Lemonade-Sprite, lemon squash, cloudy lemonade(none are the REAL kind).
“Z” and “H”- “zed” and “Hache”
Period(.)-end stop, full stop
Frosted Flakes-Frosties
Trash bags-bin liners
The movies-the cinema
Cafeteria-refectory
Baked potato-jacket potato
Movie-film
Television-telly
Cell phone-mobile
pound (money)-a.k.a. quid
rock, paper, scissors-scissors, paper, stone.
the wave(at baseball games)-the Mexican wave
bananna peel-bananna skin
marijuana-cannabis
“th”-> “f” so they say “somefing” or "wif"(with)
“sommat”-something
Twat, knob, prat-insults
Bathroom-bog, toilet, loo
They leave “of” out a lot- “sorry I went out the kitchen”
Lady bug-lady bird
Flashlight-torch
Chips-crisps
Fries-chips
Pudding-any desert
Utensils, silverware-cutlery
Elevator-lift
Queue- to line up “queue up”
Jacket-jumper
Sweatshirt-hoody
Bandaids-plasters
Candy-sweets
Where’s Waldo-Where’s Wally
Clue (game)-Cluedo
Questions-queries
Mail-post
Ornaments-baubles
Pants-trousers
Underwear-pants
On the stove-on the hob
Quotation marks-inverted commas
Saran wrap-cling film
Christmas lights-fairy lights
Cash register-till
Tennis shoes-trainers
Rain boots-Wellies
cookies-biscuits
comforter(bed)-duvet
tired- knackered
trash-rubbish
backpack-rucksack
Phrases used commonly:
“I can’t be bothered to..”
“To be fair..” or “fair enough”
“steady on!”

"clever"
"cheeky"
"mate"
"bloody"
“Well, go on then”

"Cheers!"
"Alright?"-greeting
“That is so lush”

"Lovely"
"proper" as in, "We finally got proper snow here!"
"well" as in "That was well good, wasn't it?"

No comments:

Post a Comment