Saturday, December 19, 2009

Twelfth Night, Dani's Birthday, and Scotland

Nov 9-Mon
Monday I went to class and my teacher was finally back from being sick. Yay! After my next class I came back to the dorms and finished writing my paper for my Mythology class. Then I felt really accomplished and hungry so I went to Dani’s kitchen where she and Kelsey were working on a project and we had dinner. Then we were all having a study session in the kitchen and I had nothing to study so I did some word searches from my word search book. Then I hung out with Jade, Kirsty, and Hannah and we talked about British food versus American food. It was a very interesting conversation and I learned a lot. Then Jade, Kirsty, and I walked to One-Stop and I got ice cream and milk since I needed some…well the milk I needed. After we got back we all had a desert fest and hung out in the kitchen while Dani and Kelsey took a study break. Then I decided to go to bed because I really couldn’t keep my eyes open any more,haha.
End Day 59

Nov 10-Tues
Tuesday I only had my 1:15 class because my earlier class had an assignment due so we didn’t have to go to class. That class was fun like always and after it, Nick and I went to go print stuff and turn in my assignment before walking back home. Oh, did I mention it has been freezing lately? The scarves and gloves have come out,haha. Anyways, when I got back I had some “linner” (lunch/dinner) since we all had to be ready by 5:45 for our BCA trip to Stratford-Upon-Avon (Shakespeare’s House) to see Twelfth Night. The play was a lot more entertaining and humorous than I expected and it was really cool to see it done in his birthplace. We might go back during the day to see the town properly. Oh and Richard Wilson played Malvolio, and he plays Gaius in Merlin, so it was cool seeing him so close up. We didn’t get to meet him though. Sad Day! Then we came back to Regency and Kelsey, Dani and I hung out on Dani’s floor to eat desert and play pranks on each other because of the prank war we started, haha. We had a good bonding session with us all being crazy and joking with each other. We also plan to do a Secret Santa!! Then I went to sleep.
End Day 60

Nov 11-Wed
Wednesday I woke up late and worked on catching up on all I had to do. I finished captioning my pictures, almost, and started on updating my blog. That took longer than I thought since I was so far behind and the captions took forever since I needed a map to do them. Then Liz called me and we decided to go grocery shopping. So now I actually have food to eat! Yay! Then I came back and restocked my fridge and cupboard and waited around until dinner time. For dinner I went to Dani’s kitchen where she and Kelsey were working on their project and we ate there. Then I helped them with their project and listened to their presentation. By then it was time to Skype my sister and I told her all about Paris. Then I back to Dani’s floor, helped them more, watched funny you tube videos and hung out with Jade and Kirsty who taught me british slang to bring back to America with me. Then I skyped with my family and went to sleep. So exciting, haha.
End Day 61

Nov 12-Thurs
Thursday was Dani’s 21st birthday!! I started my day finishing my captions, then Hannah texted me and we decided to go get decorations for Dani and throw her a party. So we braved the crazy English weather and ran to buy balloons, streamers and a cake. Then we came back and spent like 2 hours decorating and preparing the kitchen. Kelsey and Dani were in class but then they came back right in the middle of our decorating so Kelsey distracted her. Then we finished, brought her back, and sang Happy Birthday, had cake, and gave her our present (John Barrowman-she’s obsessed- biography, signed by him!). Then we had a party and played drinking games with Greg, Jack, Alex, Ryan and Mike, and our flat and listened to music. Then we got ready to go out to propaganda and got Dani all dolled-up. Propaganda was fun and she got in free on her birthday thanks to the flashy 21 badge Hannah and I bought her. After propaganda we went to Turkish Delight to get chips (fries) and ate them and hung out in Jack’s kitchen. Then I decided to go to bed since I was tired and have work to do tomorrow. Oh and we kept buying Dani drinks all night. Fun stuff,haha.
End Day 62

Nov 13-Fri
Friday was my “catch up” day. I woke up and started on my assignment for WT 374 and then sent it in. My other writing class I’m gonna miss so I didn’t do it, for that class. Then I finally updated my blog and posted it, after being behind 2 weeks. Then Dani called me to tell me that her birthday dinner was going to be at 6pm at Bella Italia. So I looked up some more stuff for this weekend before we left. Bella Italia was good and it was me, Dani, Kelsey, and Nick who went. My lasagna was great and my gelato was even better! We payed for Dani’s meal then came back to Regency and hung out. Then Kelsey and I got bored when Dani was writing an assignment so we cleaned the kitchen from the party we’d had the day before. Then Jade was bored so she came in and “hoovered” the floor and then vacuumed mine and Kelsey’s room too. (Thanks Jade!). Then I stayed in my room, finalized Scotland stuff, planned Amsterdam, and looked into what to do in Edinburgh. Then I packed, took a shower, and went to sleep. Scotland tomorrow at 12! Woot woot!
End Day 63

Nov 14-Sat
Saturday I woke up around 10 to leave Regency by 11:30 to get out National Express to London and start our Scotland trip!! We were right on time and we got to London in plenty of time to catch our Easy Bus to London Stansted airport. We ended up getting on the earlier bus which worked out fine since the earlier bus was running behind schedule. We got to Stansted, checked in, then had some Burger King. Then we got on the plane, got some hot chocolate on the plane, and landed in Edinburgh within an hour. Smooth travelling is so nice! We then got a bus from Edinburgh airport to city center and found our hostel (High Street Hostel).

After checking in we went walking about Edinburgh and went to a pub called The Mitre which was really hoppin’ and we ordered some drinks and some nachos. Then we hung out while live music was played and experienced Scottish pub life. Then we came back to our hostel, planned the next two days, hung out in the common room, and went to sleep. Extras: I LOVE their accents! Evidently Edinburgh is crazy haunted everywhere and full of rich history. Tomorrow we tour the city, see the castle, buy souvenirs, and go on a ghost tour!
End Day 64

Nov 15-Sun
Sunday started with breakfast at the Albernach Pub. I ordered a white roll with bacon rashers and pork sausage. It looked like a hamburger bun with bacon (looked like ham pieces) and sausage but it was good and a traditional Scottish breakfast. I also had a bite of Dani’s vegetarian haggis. It wasn’t too bad, but a little spicy and not my thing. Then we met across the street for our Free Tour. The tour was about 4 hours long and we walked around all the sights. It was a really fun tour and our guide Owen (Canadian with a slight Scottish accent) was very entertaining. It was a great way to see the city and all Edinburgh has to offer in such a short time. After that we tipped Owen and went souvenir shopping.

I bought some plaid from both Crawford and Scott clan and some other trinkets, including cashmere gloves and a wool hat. Then we ate dinner at Deacon Brody’s Tavern and it was really good. We then went to the Mitre pub again, bought a drink, and hung out until the Ghost Tour at 9:30. Dani and I bundled up and went on the ghost tour (also led by Owen) while Kelsey hung out in The Mitre. The tour was interesting and spooky and very informative, plus Owen is great. We got a free drink after it so we got a soda called IRN-BRU (big hit in Scotland) that tasted like really sweet cream soda and went back to Mitre to hang out with Kelsey. Then we came back and went to sleep.
End Day 65

Nov 16-Mon
Monday we were up pretty early to catch the 62A bus from Edinburgh to Melrose (where my ancestors are from) at 8:45. The bus ride was about an hour and a half long and it cost £6 but it looked pretty on the way there as we got to see the misty, rainy, green Scottish countryside along the Tweed River. Gorgeous! When the bus stopped at the station we got off, assuming it was Melrose and walked around trying to find the Abbey. We ended up getting doughnuts and asking the people there but couldn’t understand them well, so we kept looking. Then we asked some other guy, who told us we were in Galashiels and that Melrose was the next town over, about 4 miles away. So we should have stayed on the bus, but they don’t announce any stops, so we really couldn’t have known. Then we went back to the bus station and got a bus to Melrose and it took us right to the Melrose Abbey! Horrah! We paid £5 to get in but we got to explore all of the graves and Abbey grounds. It was in ruin, well half of it, but it dates back to like the twelfth century. So cool! We explored that for a few hours, in the rain, and found some possible relative’s gravestones. Oh and the guy in the ticket place said the Crawfords (grandmas maiden name) are a big , important family around Melorose who sponsor the Abbey and other foundations. So cool! Then we went to catch the bus back to Edinburgh to leave. It got super cold then, like 35 degrees, and we were wet, but we slept most of the ride anyways.

Once back in Edinburgh we picked up our bags from the hostel (we lef them there after check-out, very safe storing) and went to catch the Airlink back to the airport. We made a friend on the bus (Santiago, Dan) then got to go through speedy check in and security since we were running late. Then we flew to Stansted (London) and had dinner, then did some shopping in the airport, then caught the Easybus back to the coach station. We wanted to try to get an earlier coach back the Cheltenham but there wasn’t one, so we killed 3 hours eating and shopping again. Finally got back in Cheltenham around 2am, then took a shower, did laundry, and went to bed. Early class tomorrow, oh joy! Plus side: Holland on Wednesday.
End Day 66

No comments:

Post a Comment